Beccy Sunday, April 4, 2010

Once upon a time in the dark ages (circa 1990's), there was a little girl named Beccy who lived in Sydney, Australia - that's me.

America was a place that seemed so far away and so very distant. I remember watching some Back To The Future sequel. There was a scene when Micheal J Fox was flying / hovering about on a wheel-less skate board. I thought that was America. My Aunty and Uncle once had a trip to America and came back with the most amazing lollies. I thought that was the other part of America.

Crocodile Dundee is a movie that I have never watched. I think I have seen parts of it at the most. Although I was very aware that this was how the rest of the world perceived us. It has always disturbed me.

When I see an Aussie actor in a big budget American movie I get over excited. To me, this serves as proof that we aren't all considered to be outback bogans, who eat Witchetty Grubs.

Considering Aussie Actors making it in Hollywood is the only demonstration that I can find that serves as proof that we are finally more than occa bogans ...

I would like to present to you; the official 'Non Descriptive Stuff Blog' list of ...

"Australian Values - The Truth!"

  • Our national hero is a bushranger (Ned Kelly) who ran around with a saucepan on his head.
  • We're a tolerant society and if you don't understand that you can piss off.
  • Australians take people as they find them. We only like to find them in particular places, however. England, for example.
  • All Australians respect democracy. Except politicians.
  • Australians have a deep respect for a wide diversity of European cultures such as English and American.
  • Australia - and it's entire contents are the sole property of Rupert Murdoch - and we are ok with that.
  • We only claim New Zelanders if they become famous. Other than that - we give them hell for their close working relationship with sheep, and generally refuse to have much to do with them.
  • I'll just put this one right out there - I hate the beach! Hate it!
  • We do not have Koalas and Kangaroo's as pets. We have to go to the Zoo to see them too.
  • Dingo's do not eat our babies. Well, maybe only a small portion.
  • And last but not least - we aren't taught how to play the didgeridoo in school.
I hope that is has served as valued educational post to you. Better go and chuck another shrimp on the barbie.

Thanks to Values Australia for keeping the dream alive!

1 comments:

mfahey said...

"I'll just put this one right out there - I hate the beach! Hate it!"

Yeah me too. The sun burns you and the salt water makes you itchy. The beach is overrated. It's much more fun at Timezone.

Post a Comment